Economic growth in Pakistan is constrained by the ongoing regional instability and conflict, which contributes to domestic instability and violence in much of the country. Rates of tuberculosis (TB), maternal and child mortality, and malnutrition are some of the highest in south Asia. Better governance remains a critical need for equitable development.
- Emergency response: Provided basic supplies and rehabilitated damaged water and sanitation systems after massive monsoon flooding in 2010 and 2011
- Agriculture & Food: Helping dairy farmers increase their incomes by keeping their animals healthy
- Health: Increasing access to TB treatment; training health workers and midwives to improve maternal childbirth and newborn health
- Economic opportunity: Providing training in key skills and connecting trainees with local employment opportunities
- Disaster preparedness: Working with local authorities to develop long-term disaster prevention efforts like reducing soil erosion to mitigate future flooding
Pakistan: Rushing Medical Aid to Earthquake Survivors
Mercy Corps is rushing medical aid and emergency supplies to isolated villages affected by last week's 6.4-magnitude earthquake in western Pakistan, which killed at least 215 people and left about 120,000 people homeless in the remote province of Balochistan.
Pakistan: Medical Camps Key Part of Flood Reponse
As Mercy Corps continues to deliver emergency kits throughout flood-affected parts of southwest Pakistan, agency health teams are treating outpatients at three rapidly erected medical camps.
Pakistan: Fighting Tuberculosis, Village by Village
Larkana, Sindh Province, Pakistan — It was the eyes that struck me most. Deep, dark, penetrating, yet not wanting to reveal too much. But they could not hide Mrs. Hussna's weariness from battling a debilitating disease.
Pakistan: Rebuilding Pakistan, One Year Post-Quake
Pakistan: Mercy Corps Receives 'Star of Sacrifice' Award From Pakistan President
Pakistan: South Asia on the Big Screen
What was it like to live through the violent separation of Bangladesh from Pakistan in 1971? Has recent communal violence in the Indian state of Gujarat soured relations between young Muslims and Hindus? How has Sri Lanka's on-and-off civil war affected everyday life there?
Pakistan: Shifting from Relief to Recovery
Mercy Corps aid workers are winding down the agency's extensive shelter-building effort as recovery takes center stage in the mountainside villages in northern Pakistan, where residents struggle to recover from October's 7.6-magnitude earthquake.
Pakistan: Blankets Aid Wintertime Survival
Pakistan: My Journey to Pakistan
At the beginning of January, Mercy Corps program officer Jackie Lee traveled from her Hong Kong home to Pakistan to get a firsthand look at our efforts to help earthquake survivors recover from the devastation.
Pakistan: A Beautiful Mind
On my last day in Mansehra, Jill, our community revitalization program officer, took me to do something fun.