About half of all Indonesians live on less than two dollars a day. Employment growth has been slower than population growth. Public services remain inadequate by middle-income standards, and health indicators are poor. The island is also one of the most disaster-prone nations in the world.
- Economic opportunity: Providing technical assistance, training and financial services to microfinance institutions throughout the country and helping spice farmers earn more income
- Health: Raising awareness and supporting mothers to practice and promote exclusive breastfeeding
- Water: Improving sanitation and hygiene in crowded urban areas with a mobile sludge removal service
- Disaster preparedness: Identifying and mapping areas at risk and helping those communities plan, train and practice how to respond when disasters occur
- Emergency response: Maintaining a response team ready to quickly deploy and provide immediate relief to survivors during the critical first months after a disaster strikes
All stories about Indonesia
Indonesia: Responding to Disaster, Preparing to Rebuild
On December 28, 2004, Mercy Corps’ Nigel Pont became one of the first international relief workers to reach the tsunami-decimated city of Banda Aceh, Indonesia.
Indonesia: Faces on the Ground - Page 2
Indonesia: Faces on the Ground
Indonesia: Recycling Wood into Income
Indonesia: Watch MTV's "After The Tsunami" Special
Indonesia: A Village Endures
Indonesia: Long-Term Vision to Aid Quake Victims
[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on the Scotsman.com website]
Indonesia: About Mercy Corps (in Indonesian)
Mercy Corps membantu rakyat mengurangi penderitaan, kemiskinan dan penindasan dengan membangun masyarakat yang aman, produktif dan adil.
Indonesia: A Journey Into the City of Ghosts, Indonesia
Nothing that I’ve gone through in my life could have prepared me for what I was about to see. I was assigned to go to Banda Aceh to assist in raising Mercy Corps’ visibility in the region affected by the earthquake and devastating tsunami waves on December 26, 2004.
Indonesia: Returning from "Ground Zero"