About half of all Indonesians live on less than two dollars a day. Employment growth has been slower than population growth. Public services remain inadequate by middle-income standards, and health indicators are poor. The island is also one of the most disaster-prone nations in the world.
- Economic opportunity: Providing technical assistance, training and financial services to microfinance institutions throughout the country and helping spice farmers earn more income
- Health: Raising awareness and supporting mothers to practice and promote exclusive breastfeeding
- Water: Improving sanitation and hygiene in crowded urban areas with a mobile sludge removal service
- Disaster preparedness: Identifying and mapping areas at risk and helping those communities plan, train and practice how to respond when disasters occur
- Emergency response: Maintaining a response team ready to quickly deploy and provide immediate relief to survivors during the critical first months after a disaster strikes
All stories about Indonesia
Indonesia: Monitoring needs in Aceh, Indonesia after earthquake
Mercy Corps carefully and quickly evaluates every emergency and where we can best meet immediate needs. We do not have a presence in the Indonesian province affected by last week's earthquake, and the Indonesian government has not indicated that our assistance is needed.
India, Indonesia, Somalia, Sri Lanka: Indian Ocean tsunami: Ten years later
It's been a decade since the Indian Ocean tsunami ravaged communities from Indonesia to East Africa. Take a look back at the historic response and how people recovered.
Indonesia: Emergency support helps mothers through flood
In unsanitary and crowded evacuation centers, Hati Kami mother care groups were more important than ever, helping women keep their babies healthy.
Indonesia, Philippines: Meet our field staff: Dewi
When Typhoon Haiyan struck the Philippines, Dewi Hanifah, a seasoned first responder, was quickly deployed to the devastated region.
Indonesia: Emergency support ready in disaster-prone region
Our Indonesia Response Team is positioned to rush relief to families when emergencies like this month's flooding in West Java strike this vulnerable nation.
Indonesia: New initiative helps small businesses grow online
Custom-Clouds will launch in Indonesia and offer affordable website services to connect entrepreneurs with an increasingly global economy.
Indonesia: New award for bringing mobile payments to rural farmers
Visa's Innovation Grant will allow us to deepen our commitment to using technology to improve people's lives in some of the most remote communities in Indonesia.
Indonesia: Fighting poverty in the Spice Islands
Amid the tropical beauty of Indonesia's Maluku islands some families are living on less than 36 cents a day. We're helping spice farmers turn the abundance all around them into profit.
Indonesia, Uganda, Zimbabwe: Agri-Fin Mobile program provides big benefits on small phones
How Mercy Corps and local partners are bundling services on a unique mobile platform to help smallholder farmers boost their harvests and incomes.
Indonesia: Reaching families displaced by massive floods
We're distributing emergency supplies as flooding washes through Indonesia's capital, Jakarta, and submerges thousands of homes.