The Gaza Strip, home to 1.8 million people, has been under a blockade since 2007, which has paralyzed its economy and led to severe shortages of water, electricity, food and fuel. According to the U.N., at least 80 percent of the population is dependent on external assistance.
Promote peaceful and productive futures for those who are marginalized — women, people with disabilities and youth. Help families recover from emergencies and ultimately achieve economic security, especially by empowering young people to use software and Internet technologies to connect with the global market.
Lat / Lon
- Emergency response: Distributing emergency food and supplies to families displaced by crisis. Were on the ground providing aid during the most recent conflict and have responded to flooding in December 2013, the Israel-Hamas conflict in 2008-09, and border closures in 2005
- Children & Youth: Providing educational mentoring, one-on-one tutoring and psychosocial support for young people, who make up half the population
- Economic opportunity: Expanding employment opportunities, especially in the internet technology sector, by providing training, networking opportunities and seed funding for startups
- Population (2014 est.): 4.5 million
- UN Human Development Index rank: 107 (out of 186)
- Mercy Corps has worked here since 1986
All stories about West Bank and Gaza
West Bank and Gaza: A Fresco in Gaza August 22, 2008
It came to no surprise to those who know him that the evening after he joined a young couple in Holy Matrimony in Seattle, Father Bruno Segatta traded in his priestly vestments with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, shoved a ticket into a half-empty backpack and set off toward a much different desti
West Bank and Gaza: Restocking Hospital Closets in Gaza March 14, 2008
Rarely have deliveries of sheets and hospital gowns been so warmly received as in Gaza last month.
West Bank and Gaza: Mercy Corps Joins Call to End Gaza's Violence and Suffering March 6, 2008
West Bank and Gaza: Facts about Mercy Corps in Gaza January 29, 2008
We continue to work with the United Nations, donors and partner organizations to monitor relief shipments into and distributions within Gaza, as well as plan longer-term recovery efforts. We have 25 staff members inside Gaza as well as other staff in Jerusalem, the West Bank and Egypt.
West Bank and Gaza: Breaching the Wall in Gaza January 25, 2008
Gazans' frustration at their isolation and border closures boiled over this week, with Palestinians blasting down the wall separating Gaza from Egypt and tens of thousands flooding through the breach.
West Bank and Gaza: Teenagers in Gaza June 22, 2007
West Bank and Gaza: Turmoil in Gaza June 15, 2007
West Bank and Gaza: Tahanee: Teaching Job Skills to Young Women January 18, 2007
West Bank and Gaza: Priming Gaza's Economy November 22, 2006
Amid a truce between Israel and the main Palestinian factions in the Gaza Strip, Mercy Corps is adding much-needed cash directly into the pockets of vulnerable families.
West Bank and Gaza: Life and Death on the Sea July 29, 2006
Wadi Salqa, Gaza Strip — Despite dire living conditions, Gazans are known for their warm hospitality. But when Mansur Al Saleem invited me to visit his family home last Wednesday, it was not so much an invitation as an explanation.