Message from Neil Schilling
Williams, Clemans, and Schilling to race in IRONMAN Triathlon in Cozumel, Mexico November 28, 2010.
THREE FRIENDS. THREE UNBELIEVABLE EVENTS. ONE MISSION.
How would you like to to swim a couple miles in the Caribbean Ocean with a pod of killer whales or a few sharks without a life jacket? Are you crazy!! Have you ever stopped to think how long it would take to bike from Portland, Or to Eugene Oregon on that bicycle in the garage? Hmmmm....our kids get ancy just sitting in the car drive from Portland to Eugene!
On November 28 Rob, Neil, and Brad will not only be swimming 2.4m in the ocean, cycling 112 miles, but yes also running a 26.2 mile marathon in the 2010 IRONMAN TRIATHLON in COZUMEL, MEXICO. If you've not seen us around much or noticed we're a few belt sizes smaller it's because we've been training hard to ACHIEVE THE UNTHINKABLE and become an IRONMAN! Our typical week of training now includes 200 miles of cycling, 30+ miles of running, and 6000yards of swimming in the pool.
However, there is another reason we're competing in this event and that is to raise awareness for MercyCorps. The three of us are committed to spotlighting this Portland based Non-Profit and their emergency relief efforts across the globe.Your support will help millions of hard-working people who seek to rebuild their lives and homes while also resurrecting their communities. Your donation helps open schools, start small businesses and establish peace in communities scarred by conflict.
Here's a few fun ideas you can discuss with your family to highlight MercyCorps and our IRONMAN event:
* Go to the Ironman Cozumel website and figure out how many total miles each of us will be completing in the race http://www.ironmancozumel.com/ . DONATE .50 or $1.00 for each mile the three of us complete.
* Make a one time donation to MERCY CORP on our behalf. Track our progress during the race at www.ironmanlive.com on November 28. We will have electronic tracking devices which show our progress throughout the swim, bike, and run.
* Check and see if your company has a matching gifts program. Most companies will match 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1 when you make a tax free donation to a non-profit such as MercyCorps.
* Discuss with your kids why Non-Profits are important to support and also the positive benefits of healthy lifestyle.
* Read on of our favorite books this month and be INSPIRED to achieve the Unthinkable
moving into 2011.
A. Unthinkable: The Scott Rigsby Story
B. Swimming to Antartica by Lynn Cox
C. It's Not about the Bike by Lance Armstrong
D. 17 hours to Glory Extrordinary Stories from the Heart of Triathlon
E. UltraMarathon Man by Dean Karnazes
F. Becoming an IronMan by Kara Thomes
On behalf of Brad, Neil, and Rob we are thankful to everyone in advance for their encouragement and support. We know we'll make it across the red carpet at the IRONMAN finishers line on the 28th. Won't you join us at this special time of year and make a difference with MercyCorps?
Please join us today and make a donation on our behalf at