Improve community infrastructure, health, resiliency and economic opportunities in Indonesia’s most challenging urban and coastal areas.
About half of all Indonesians live on less than a dollar a day. Employment growth has been slower than population growth. Public services remain inadequate by middle-income standards, and health indicators are poor.
- Economic opportunity: Providing technical assistance, training and financial services to microfinance institutions throughout the country
- Health: Raising awareness and supporting mothers to practice and promote exclusive breastfeeding
- Children & Youth: Addressing childhood malnutrition through healthy, affordable food carts in Jakarta
- Water: Improving sanitation and hygiene in crowded urban areas with a mobile sludge removal service
- Disaster preparedness: Identifying and mapping areas at risk and helping those communities plan, train and practice how to respond when disasters occur
- Emergency response: Maintaining a response team ready to quickly deploy and provide immediate relief to survivors during the critical first months after a disaster strikes
All stories about Indonesia
Indonesia: Emergency support helps mothers through flood March 7, 2014
In unsanitary and crowded evacuation centers, Hati Kami mother care groups were more important than ever, helping women keep their babies healthy.
Indonesia, Philippines: Meet our field staff: Dewi February 17, 2014
When Typhoon Haiyan struck the Philippines, Dewi Hanifah, a seasoned first responder, was quickly deployed to the devastated region.
Indonesia: Emergency support ready in disaster-prone region January 30, 2014
Our Indonesia Response Team is positioned to rush relief to families when emergencies like this month's flooding in West Java strike this vulnerable nation.
Indonesia: New initiative helps small businesses grow online September 24, 2013
Custom-Clouds will launch in Indonesia and offer affordable website services to connect entrepreneurs with an increasingly global economy.
Indonesia: New award for bringing mobile payments to rural farmers July 19, 2013
Visa's Innovation Grant will allow us to deepen our commitment to using technology to improve people's lives in some of the most remote communities in Indonesia.
Indonesia: Fighting poverty in the Spice Islands June 5, 2013
Amid the tropical beauty of Indonesia's Maluku islands some families are living on less than 36 cents a day. We're helping spice farmers turn the abundance all around them into profit.
Indonesia, Uganda, Zimbabwe: Agri-Fin Mobile program provides big benefits on small phones May 17, 2013
How Mercy Corps and local partners are bundling services on a unique mobile platform to help smallholder farmers boost their harvests and incomes.
Indonesia: Reaching families displaced by massive floods January 18, 2013
We're distributing emergency supplies as flooding washes through Indonesia's capital, Jakarta, and submerges thousands of homes.
Indonesia: Food carts on a whole new scale December 20, 2012
In Jakarta, our teams found that 17% percent of children under 5 are malnourished, while 12% are overweight.
Indonesia: Nutrition on wheels December 18, 2012