Improve community infrastructure, health, resiliency and economic opportunities in Indonesia’s most challenging urban and coastal areas.
About half of all Indonesians live on less than a dollar a day. Employment growth has been slower than population growth. Public services remain inadequate by middle-income standards, and health indicators are poor.
- Economic opportunity: Providing technical assistance, training and financial services to microfinance institutions throughout the country
- Health: Raising awareness and supporting mothers to practice and promote exclusive breastfeeding
- Children & Youth: Addressing childhood malnutrition through healthy, affordable food carts in Jakarta
- Water: Improving sanitation and hygiene in crowded urban areas with a mobile sludge removal service
- Disaster preparedness: Identifying and mapping areas at risk and helping those communities plan, train and practice how to respond when disasters occur
- Emergency response: Maintaining a response team ready to quickly deploy and provide immediate relief to survivors during the critical first months after a disaster strikes
All stories about Indonesia
Indonesia: Indian Ocean Tsunami: Two Years Later December 20, 2006
Throughout the tsunami-affected region, Mercy Corps is answering President Clinton's call to "build back better," having helped more than 1 million people strengthen their local economies, livelihoods and communities. Here are a few examples of Mercy Corps' work in the region:
Indonesia: Precious Seedlings December 20, 2006
Indonesia: Helping To Rebuild in Bantul September 20, 2006
“It was only about 8 to 10 seconds, but it felt like forever.”
Indonesia: Tsunami Hits Indonesia July 17, 2006
Indonesia: Earthquake Response Continues June 29, 2006
Early the morning of May 27, a powerful earthquake measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale struck the Indonesian island of Java, devastating the region and killing more than 5,700. Entire villages were instantly leveled. An estimated 1.5 million people were left homeless by the earthquake.
Indonesia: Recovery Toolkits June 16, 2006
Indonesia: This is Our Home June 15, 2006
Indonesia: This Too Shall Pass June 1, 2006
Indonesia: Relief Effort May 31, 2006
Indonesia: Five Stops for Ratih April 21, 2006