Improve community infrastructure, health, resiliency and economic opportunities in Indonesia’s most challenging urban and coastal areas.
About half of all Indonesians live on less than a dollar a day. Employment growth has been slower than population growth. Public services remain inadequate by middle-income standards, and health indicators are poor.
- Economic opportunity: Providing technical assistance, training and financial services to microfinance institutions throughout the country
- Health: Raising awareness and supporting mothers to practice and promote exclusive breastfeeding
- Children & Youth: Addressing childhood malnutrition through healthy, affordable food carts in Jakarta
- Water: Improving sanitation and hygiene in crowded urban areas with a mobile sludge removal service
- Disaster preparedness: Identifying and mapping areas at risk and helping those communities plan, train and practice how to respond when disasters occur
- Emergency response: Maintaining a response team ready to quickly deploy and provide immediate relief to survivors during the critical first months after a disaster strikes
All stories about Indonesia
Indonesia: Addressing the Impact of Climate Change in Indonesian Slums July 22, 2009
Indonesia: Recycled Life June 12, 2009
Indonesia: Dishing out healthy street food June 10, 2009
This photo was taken at a Mercy Corps-sponsored food cart in north Jakarta, Indonesia. The woman in the photo is the Vice Governor of Jakarta. She was in a neighboring community and heard about the Healthy Street Foods project and got so excited that she stopped by the opening event.
Indonesia: Eat your tempeh, kids May 18, 2009
Indonesia: Nineteen: Cahyan, tofu snack seller May 15, 2009
Indonesia: Nineteen: Hasanuddin, water seller May 15, 2009
Hasanuddin, 44, operates a small food stall and sells water in an illegal settlement under a toll road in Jakarta. He says that he earns "enough to survive."
Indonesia: Nineteen: Eni, jamu seller May 15, 2009
Indonesia: Nineteen: Hepi, soto ayam soup seller May 15, 2009
Indonesia: Nineteen: Sriyusiati, soto betawi soup seller May 15, 2009
Indonesia: Reach hopes for the poor April 21, 2009
Mercy Corps Indonesia's Urban Program aims to build just, productive and secure urban communities.