Improve community infrastructure, health, resiliency and economic opportunities in Indonesia’s most challenging urban and coastal areas.
About half of all Indonesians live on less than a dollar a day. Employment growth has been slower than population growth. Public services remain inadequate by middle-income standards, and health indicators are poor.
- Economic opportunity: Providing technical assistance, training and financial services to microfinance institutions throughout the country
- Health: Raising awareness and supporting mothers to practice and promote exclusive breastfeeding
- Children & Youth: Addressing childhood malnutrition through healthy, affordable food carts in Jakarta
- Water: Improving sanitation and hygiene in crowded urban areas with a mobile sludge removal service
- Disaster preparedness: Identifying and mapping areas at risk and helping those communities plan, train and practice how to respond when disasters occur
- Emergency response: Maintaining a response team ready to quickly deploy and provide immediate relief to survivors during the critical first months after a disaster strikes
All stories about Indonesia
Indonesia: Shaking off the numbness August 25, 2009
Yesterday, a colleague in Indonesia told me that one of the slum areas we had visited while I was in Jakarta had been reduced to smoldering wreckage.
Indonesia: Fulfilling Cot Paya village’s dreams August 25, 2009
My recent visit to a small village named Cot Paya in Indonesia's Aceh province was my second trip here.
Indonesia: A dedication to her profession August 24, 2009
Ibu Lilis Ratnasari, a private midwife, received a 40-hour training in lactation counseling through the World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF about a year ago.
Indonesia: Terima kasih August 21, 2009
Indonesia: Past the end of the world August 18, 2009
As we stood on a small dock overlooking the aquamarine waters that lap Tehoru, a port town on Indonesia's Seram Island, my colleague Eldo made an interesting comment.
Indonesia: Peace and clean on Independence Day August 17, 2009
Indonesia: Crickets, crackers and chairs August 14, 2009
Indonesia: 28 stories August 13, 2009
Indonesia: A world most will never see August 12, 2009
Indonesia: More happiness and laughter August 10, 2009