Improve community infrastructure, health, resiliency and economic opportunities in Indonesia’s most challenging urban and coastal areas.
About half of all Indonesians live on less than a dollar a day. Employment growth has been slower than population growth. Public services remain inadequate by middle-income standards, and health indicators are poor.
- Economic opportunity: Providing technical assistance, training and financial services to microfinance institutions throughout the country
- Health: Raising awareness and supporting mothers to practice and promote exclusive breastfeeding
- Children & Youth: Addressing childhood malnutrition through healthy, affordable food carts in Jakarta
- Water: Improving sanitation and hygiene in crowded urban areas with a mobile sludge removal service
- Disaster preparedness: Identifying and mapping areas at risk and helping those communities plan, train and practice how to respond when disasters occur
- Emergency response: Maintaining a response team ready to quickly deploy and provide immediate relief to survivors during the critical first months after a disaster strikes
All stories about Indonesia
Indonesia: The Big Map September 30, 2009
At 5:16 P.M. (Indonesian time) on September 30, a 7.6 earthquake hit off the coast of Sumatra. By 2:40 P.M. Portland time, reporter Pat Dooris from KGW-TV in Portland, Oregon had showed up to interview Paul Jeffery, our Senior Program Manager for Southeast Asia.
Indonesia: Major earthquake strikes western Sumatra September 30, 2009
A powerful earthquake struck western Indonesia today, collapsing buildings and causing landslides in coastal areas, especially Padang — a city of 900,000 people.
Indonesia: Before the fire September 27, 2009
Before the fire, neighborhood 12 of Penjaringan — a poor slum in the north of Jakarta — was vibrant and bustling with activity.
Indonesia: Helping Survivors on Earthquake-Rattled Java September 22, 2009
In the aftermath of a major earthquake that struck the Indonesian island of Java and killed at least 64 people has assessed needs and is delivering aid to survivors.
Indonesia: Bringing joy back to Aceh September 16, 2009
Lately it’s been quite cold because of the marathon rain pouring down nonstop for the last two days over Banda Aceh. The clouds have been sending away the intense sunshine that usually covers the town.
Indonesia: Meeting the survivors September 10, 2009
Last Friday afternoon, as half of Mercy Corps' Healthy Start team were preparing for the weekend, we were suddenly pulled into a rush meeting at the round table we share.
Indonesia: Ask me, and I will follow you down September 4, 2009
How do you recognize a midwife who's already trained to be a breastfeeding counselor? And who do you ask about breastfeeding if you go to puskesmas, local health facilities around Indonesia?
Indonesia: Ibu Durti...please don't run away! September 2, 2009
Indonesia: Powerful earthquake hits Indonesia September 2, 2009
Earlier today, a major earthquake registering 7.0 on the Richter scale struck the Indonesian island of Java.
Indonesia: Opening the Taps September 1, 2009
If water is life, then Tanah Merah was dying.