Here are some handy tips to help you maximize your online fundraising efforts:
1. Use social media
- Share a link to your fundraising page so friends can contribute and post updates as you get closer to your campaign goal.
- Change your profile picture or cover photo to the Mercy Corps logo. This is available for download on our Materials and Messages Page.
- Follow us for stories to share about how Mercy Corps helps people in the world’s toughest places.
2. Email, email, email!
- Carefully select a list of recipients to email, asking them to contribute to your campaign. Think of friends, relatives, colleagues, classmates or others who typically do not see your social media activity.
- Don’t be shy! If you’re emailing people you haven’t spoken with in a while, that’s ok! They’re likely happy to hear from you anyway! Remember you aren’t asking for a gift. You’re asking people to help inspire peaceful change.
- Change your email signature to include a link to your fundraising page.
- After a couple of weeks have passed, it’s ok to send a reminder.
3. Make your message heartfelt
“Passion Persuades” – Anita Roddick
- Tell your community why you care and why the need is urgent. Share your personal story and communicate your passion.
- When using our templates, edit them and make them personal. You want your friends to know why you’ve chosen to support Mercy Corps.
4. Use visuals to show why help is needed
- Photos can help others understand the situation and your commitment to help. We’ve added a photo to your page, but there’s room to add a photo of yourself as well! This adds a personal touch and shows visitors they’re in the right place.
- In emails and on your social media profiles, share photos of the situation and people you are helping.
- Need help finding images or videos? Let us know!
5. Donate to your own campaign
- Please make a personal donation of any amount to show just how much you care. This seed money for your campaign provides legitimacy to your efforts and communicates your ambition.
- Any amount will show your commitment, but do keep in mind your gift sets a level of comparison for visitors. Consider how many people you think will give towards your goal and remember: smaller gifts add up.
6. Thank your contributors!
- This is the most important step! We couldn’t do the work we do without the help of those who give to Mercy Corps. We will be thanking them also, but let them know you appreciate their support of your effort.
- You can thank donors by logging into your page and clicking “Thank” under their donation. There’s even a thank you email written, just add any personal note you’d like and click send!
- Shout out to donors who have made a contribution on social media. This makes them feel appreciated for making an impact and reminds others to do the same.