Address complex natural resource and climate change adaptation issues, with a focus on increasing resiliency in the face of drought and other external shocks.
Poverty is widespread. Frequent drought, unpredictable harvests and sporadic conflicts put families and rural traditions at risk. Millions are still in urgent need of assistance after the worst drought the region has seen for 60 years.
- Emergency response: Treating malnourished children with mobile health units, distributing water, vaccinating livestock, and providing work rebuilding community assets
- Agriculture & Food: Improving crop yields and income generation of pastoral and farming households
- Water: Building reservoirs and improving wells in drought-prone communities
- Women & Gender: Providing scholarships for girls to continue in secondary school and vocational training to their mothers to generate more income
- Conflict & Governance: Increasing good governance and mitigating inter-ethnic conflict in three volatile regions
All stories about Ethiopia
Ethiopia: Water, health, safety and extra time October 27, 2010
In many parts of Ethiopia, water — or the lack thereof — is a matter of life or death. Birtukan Bulki knows this better than most.
Ethiopia: A view of water poverty October 15, 2010
Ethiopia: Bringing Ethiopian communities together through sport October 5, 2010
Ethiopia: Images: Helping Ethiopia's daughters stay in school September 22, 2010
Ethiopia: Partnering with Angelique Kidjo to help Ethiopian girls stay in school September 22, 2010
Starting today, there will be more educational opportunities for young women in some of southern Ethiopia's poorest villages.
Ethiopia: Helping Ethiopia’s daughters stay in school September 22, 2010
“These days, I can barely sleep because I am so excited with ideas on what to do next," says 38-year-old Felekech Endiris says with a smile. "I’m doing a bigger business. My family has enough to eat and I can afford medicines for my children now.”
Ethiopia: Epilogue: Happy New Year and goodbye September 14, 2010
Somewhere between Addis Ababa and Atlanta, I left 2003 and flew all the way back to 2010. Makes for a pretty long plane ride home, doesn’t it? Let me explain.
Ethiopia: Celebrating a new home September 11, 2010
Just three months ago, Temam Khiyar was homeless. He lived with his wife and their four children in a lean-to constructed of wooden poles and scrap cloth on the hard red clay of a vacant lot. Not any more.
Ethiopia: Standing her ground and springing back September 10, 2010
In many places around the world, drought withers lawns. In Ethiopia, drought withers lives. "When I was young, I was beautiful," says 50-year-old Zesino Mohamed Shiro. "But years of drought and not having enough to eat makes you old."
Ethiopia: What’s beyond Paradise September 8, 2010