Address the urgent issues of economic development, public health service delivery, and effective relief and recovery from natural disasters and conflict.
Economic growth in Pakistan is constrained by the ongoing regional instability and conflict, which contributes to domestic instability and violence in much of the country. Rates of tuberculosis (TB), maternal and child mortality, and malnutrition are some of the highest in south Asia. Better governance remains a critical need for equitable development.
- Emergency response: Provided basic supplies and rehabilitated damaged water and sanitation systems after massive monsoon flooding in 2010 and 2011
- Agriculture & Food: Helping dairy farmers increase their incomes by keeping their animals healthy
- Health: Increasing access to TB treatment; training health workers and midwives to improve maternal childbirth and newborn health
- Economic opportunity: Providing training in key skills and connecting trainees with local employment opportunities
- Disaster preparedness: Working with local authorities to develop long-term disaster prevention efforts like reducing soil erosion to mitigate future flooding
All stories about Pakistan
Pakistan: Mercy Corps Receives 'Star of Sacrifice' Award From Pakistan President
Pakistan: South Asia on the Big Screen
What was it like to live through the violent separation of Bangladesh from Pakistan in 1971? Has recent communal violence in the Indian state of Gujarat soured relations between young Muslims and Hindus? How has Sri Lanka's on-and-off civil war affected everyday life there?
Pakistan: Back to School
Kotlipaeen, North West Frontier Province — A cool morning rain can't dampen the enthusiasm of school children revved up for a special celebration. Neither can grim reminders of the devastating earthquake last fall that all but flattened this 4,000-person village.
Pakistan: Shifting from Relief to Recovery
Mercy Corps aid workers are winding down the agency's extensive shelter-building effort as recovery takes center stage in the mountainside villages in northern Pakistan, where residents struggle to recover from October's 7.6-magnitude earthquake.
Pakistan: Blankets Aid Wintertime Survival
Pakistan: My Journey to Pakistan
At the beginning of January, Mercy Corps program officer Jackie Lee traveled from her Hong Kong home to Pakistan to get a firsthand look at our efforts to help earthquake survivors recover from the devastation.
Pakistan: A Beautiful Mind
On my last day in Mansehra, Jill, our community revitalization program officer, took me to do something fun.
Pakistan: Life in a Nutshell
I learned that I would be on a helicopter for today’s distribution shortly after I arrived at the Mansehra guesthouse. Josh arranged all the heli distributions with the UN Humanitarian Air Service, and he got me a seat on this one.
Pakistan: When There's a Will, There's a Way
Pakistan: Distribution Day
Yesterday, my first day in Pakistan, was spent at a UN coordination meeting in Islamabad. Today I'm helping our field teams deliver stoves and blankets and visiting villages where we're paying people to salvage whatever materials they can from earthquake-toppled homes.