Improve community infrastructure, health, resiliency and economic opportunities in Indonesia’s most challenging urban and coastal areas.
About half of all Indonesians live on less than two dollars a day. Employment growth has been slower than population growth. Public services remain inadequate by middle-income standards, and health indicators are poor. The island is also one of the most disaster-prone nations in the world.
- Economic opportunity: Providing technical assistance, training and financial services to microfinance institutions throughout the country and helping spice farmers earn more income
- Health: Raising awareness and supporting mothers to practice and promote exclusive breastfeeding
- Water: Improving sanitation and hygiene in crowded urban areas with a mobile sludge removal service
- Disaster preparedness: Identifying and mapping areas at risk and helping those communities plan, train and practice how to respond when disasters occur
- Emergency response: Maintaining a response team ready to quickly deploy and provide immediate relief to survivors during the critical first months after a disaster strikes
All stories about Indonesia
Indonesia: Huge Earthquake Strikes Southern Asia
Indonesia: High Hopes in Johan Pahlawan
Indonesia: Starting Anew in Layeun
A bone-rattling one-hour drive still separates the village of Layeun from Banda Aceh, the capital of the tsunami-decimated Aceh province of Indonesia. Roadside scenes along the way provide mind-boggling reminders of the force carried by the wave.
Indonesia: Responding to Disaster, Preparing to Rebuild
On December 28, 2004, Mercy Corps’ Nigel Pont became one of the first international relief workers to reach the tsunami-decimated city of Banda Aceh, Indonesia.
Indonesia: Faces on the Ground - Page 2
Indonesia: Faces on the Ground
Indonesia: The Long Walk Home
Indonesia: Recycling Wood into Income
Indonesia: A Tsunami Generation Rebuilds
[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in The Boston Globe]
Indonesia: The Triumph of Compassion, Spirit and Hope