Enable Afghans to improve their quality of life by helping them build sustainable, legitimate livelihoods.
Decades of ongoing conflict, political instability, drought and economic chaos have left Afghanistan one of the world’s poorest and unstable nations. Eighty-five percent of the population relies on agriculture and natural resource-based livelihoods, leaving them vulnerable in a precarious economy.
- Agriculture & Food: Increasing farmers' production through training, infrastructure and links to local and global markets.
- Economic opportunity: Providing young people with vocational training and support to start small businesses.
- Environment: Addressing natural resource depletion by promoting solar energy and educating farmers and government officials about sustainable water management.
- Women & Gender: Helping women learn job skills and start small businesses.
- Children & Youth: Supporting healthy development by providing opportunities for peer engagement and social inclusion.
All stories about Afghanistan
Afghanistan: Asian Fashion for Kabul Women
Name: Nadjia ShujaeeAge: 33 yearsLocation: Bagh-E-Zanana Women’s Market, Kabul (Afghanistan)
Afghanistan: Afghan Woman Selling to Women
Name: Aziza RajabiAge: 45 yearsLocation: Bagh-E-Zanana Women’s Market, Kabul (Afghanistan)
Afghanistan: The Wedding Singer
Name: Parviz SharifiAge: 25 yearsLocation: District 1, Kabul (Afghanistan)
Afghanistan: Hatching a New Business
Name: Fawzia Mohammad HazanAge: 35Location: District 7, Kabul (Afghanistan) Over the din of hundreds of cheeping little chicks, Fawzia explains the business plan for her newly launched chick farm.
Afghanistan: Bicycle Shop Owner Runs Brisk Business
Name: Obaidulhah HabbibullahAge: 48 yearsLocation: Charqala Wazirbad, District 10, Kabul (Afghanistan)
Afghanistan: A Beauty Shop of Her Own
Name: Lailuma Aslam ZadaAge: 30 yearsLocation: Bagh-E-Zanana, Kabul (Afghanistan)
Afghanistan: A Window Into Northern Afghanistan
Afghanistan: A Silver Lining in Northeastern Afghanistan
A Mercy Corps project that got off to a disappointing start in Kunduz Province finished with remarkable results.
Afghanistan: In Afghanistan, Mercy and Mayhem
A hellish predawn raid by truckloads of suspected Taliban gunmen took the life of a Mercy Corps veteran in Afghanistan in August. The violence didn't stop there. That wrenching episode was the second murder in a year, a horrible stretch for our relief workers.
Afghanistan: Optimism is High; But Afghans Fear The Window of Opportunity is Closing